Let's talk...Sleep Problems & Night Time Routine!

If you know me well there is a very good chance you know one or both of the following things about me. 1. I am always tired in someway. I always feel like I need more sleep (and actually will be diving into that pretty soon here!) 2. Luke snores like a freight train and it keeps me from restful sleep, sleeping in my bed (I end up on the couch or Alexa's bed if she's at her dad's). I'm easily woken up and it's sometimes (if I'm honest...more often than not) really hard for me to fall asleep. Now, I know a lot of things contribute to that. Such as; too much screen time before bed, staying up late to do something or watch something, and lack of a good relaxing night time routine that I consistently stick to.

So, to say that there is a lot that could be improved would be the least I could say. Unfortunately, I don't see some of these things changing as much as I'd like them to. I am making steps to simplifying my night time routine and consistently sticking to it and minimizing screen time. Until I can live in a utopian world where my schedule is the same and I can get Luke to stop snoring I've been looking for something to help me fall asleep fast and stay asleep even if there is noise.

Here is what I've been currently trying that I do have to say has helped.
1. Melatonin. This definitely turns my brain down a notch and makes it easier for me to sleep at night. I can not complain about that!

2. Night Time Tea! This has also helped a ton in just relaxing me better. But it's hard to do every night and I find myself having to pee sometimes in the middle of the night.
3. Ear Plugs. I have been doing this for a while now actually and it helps block out the noise, but only to a certain extent. Now, I have to sleep with these no matter where I am and how quiet it is. Also, these hurt my ears :-(

I've been seeing the ZzzQuill commercials for a while now and have really kind of been interested. Now, i'm not really a huge advocate of unnatural medicines but when I was selected to review this product by influenster I figured that the opportunity has fallen into my hands and I might as well take it! So, that's exactly what I. I decided that I was going to carry out what I think would be my perfect night time/self care routine. This is how it went -

7:30 pm I put a Sea Algae face masque on from Tone It Up. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this face masque and I love it's creators. I highly suggest this face masque. It's full of amazing things that help your skin!


I also decided to also try a hair mask from OGX it's an Argan Oil intensive treatment. Never did a hair mask before and I'm not sure why because it was FANTASTIC.


During this time while my face masque dries and my hair mask sits I packed Alexa's lunch for dance camp the next day, I packed my workout bag and I made sure my purse and work bag were all together.

8:00pm I took a hot shower with a few drops of doTERRA Lavender Essential Oil on the bottom of the shower floor and I let the aroma fill the bathroom. I exfoliated, shaved, washed off the face masque and hair mask. I took my time - Something I never really get to do because I'm always in a rush. I played some Lana Del Rey on my phone and really just relaxed.


8:30 pm I got out of the shower, got in my shower robe, wrapped up my hair and told Alexa that it was her turn to take a shower. She complained for about 10 minutes while I filled my Keurig with water and turned it on to make hot water for my sleepy time tea. I went to the bathroom mostly dry at this point, put lotion on (my fave face lotion is the Mary Kay TimeWise Age Fighting) took my hair out of the towel and put on Living Proof Perfect Hair Day night cap overnight protector.


And then I applied Mary Kay timewise night solution on my face. This is so refreshing and just honestly makes my face feel so nice and it's not tacky or oily at all. Oh, and then I FINALLY got Alexa to start her water and get in the dang shower.


8:45 pm I sat down with my The REPULBIC of TEA get some zzz's tea I journal in my Five Minute Journal App and updated it. I recently got this app for free through my Starbucks app (normally $4.99) and I LOVE IT. I usually am a pen and paper type of girl (and still am) but I'm working on ways to minimize the amount of STUFF I have. I really actually love this app. I take time to focus on the positive both morning and night. I also update my fitbit app and clue app with all of the day's data. 


9:15pm With the last sip of my tea I take the dose of the ZzzQuill. I finished brushing Alexa's hair and braid it so it doesn't turn into a birds nest over night. This takes a bit. Have you seen her hair lately?


9:30 pm Alexa sits down and reads for a half hour (Keep in mind. I let her stay up to 9:30-10 pm in the summer. During the school year her bed time is 8:30 and she can read until 9pm if she would like. Which she normally does - yay! to good habits) right now she's on book 4 of Harry Potter and they're in the Triwizard Tournament. I don't think she's gotten to the point where Cedric Diggory dies... anyway, I digress. I've been either listening to her read if she wants to read out loud or I take the time to read my daily devotional and the bible verses that go along with it.

9:50pm Alexa and I brush our teeth and floss! We also wash our faces (I didn't have to this night due to doing it earlier). We give hugs and say our good nights and I tuck her into bed and set up her diffuser (she likes serenity/lavender and veviter and she sleeps better than she's ever slept before that thing. Thank god for essential oils!) I head to bed, turn on my alarm for the following day. MAYBE I remember to pick clothes out, but this night I didn't. That ZzzQuill worked so well. I was so tired and couldn't keep my eyes open!

10:00pm - Lights out!

Morning update: I didn't have to be anywhere till 9 am just across town, so I got to sleep until 7 am! And I didn't wake up once and I felt AMAZING in the morning. That's NINE hours of sleep! Plus it wasn't hard to wake up. I love to hate to hate to love to say it...it worked. I might not use this every night, but I'm definitely going to get some to keep for nights that a good nights sleep is a MUST. If you have problems falling asleep and/or sleeping through the night, I definitely suggest it!

If you'd like to see a sneak peak into my current morning routine and where I would like to be let me know in a comment below! I would love to know if you would like to see that and see what products I use every morning to help set my day up for success!

xoxo,
Nikki

Comments

Popular Posts

Chitika