August Favorites

Well, I can honestly say that I don't think we've had much of an August this year (or much of a summer at all). Next week school starts - that's the big and bad 5th grade year Alexa is going into! We can't believe it! Wasn't it just last year she was starting 4k?! I swear it was!

I'm one of those nerds who get really excited for the new school year. I love new supplies, I love a good routine and schedule. 

August was uneventful, Prep and relaxation mostly. 

As far as favorites go this is where we stand:

Movies/TV:
August was spent adding movies to "My List" on Netflix. Started knocking some of those. Nothing too interesting there. 

I did, however, break down and finally get Hulu. Not sure how long we'll have it but I REALLY wanted to watch 'The Handmaid's Tale". I was not disappointed. I'm so fascinated by this series, I can't wait for season 2! 




LEAP - 
Alexa and I went on a Momma-Daughter date the last week of August to see a movie she's been BEGGING to go see. LEAP! It was a really cute movie and only inspired my little dancer to want to be in the nutcracker one day and live in Paris. (Both of which have been her dream for the last 4-5 years haha) It was a super cute movie and we especially enjoyed it because we got to watching in the new dream loungers! 



Books:
This month I listened and finished "Go Set a Watchman" by Harper Lee. I started reading it and couldn't stay focused, finally broke down and got it on Audible and I listened to it when driving to and from work. I actually really enjoyed listening to Reese Witherspoon read this and I really enjoyed the context. It was different than "To Kill a Mockingbird" and at first I wasn't sure what to thing, but It really made me look at life even now a days especially after events in Charlottesville.



The other book I read which also connected to recent events in our nation was "I know why the Caged Bird Sings" By Maya Angelou. If you don't know who Maya Angelou is I suggest you read into her. She's inspirational and one of the greatest authors and poets that have come around. This book was the autobiography of her early years. I've already read her later years autobiography and loved it as well and this first book really helped me understand her and the African American Woman experience when it was 100x worse than it is now. I highly recommend!



Beauty
Nothing too exciting in this department this month. It's kind of taken a back seat while we're gearing up for the school year. Also, in the summer I tend to not do too much with make up. I did, however, a lot of skin care as I normally would. Cleanse twice a day, Moisturize twice a day, Rose water twice a day, face mask twice a week. (I think I'm going to make a blog post of my favorite face masks soon here because I am OBSESSED.) I think my routine has seriously helped my skin so much, even my monthly hormonal acne is so much better in August!


Family & Friends-
To be honest, I didn't really do much with friends this month...and to be honest, again...I'm kind of okay with that. I love my friends but life is tiring. July was exceptionally tiring. I know that probably isn't a great excuse, and I do love all my friends dearly but sometimes it's nice to stay a hermit in your own home and REST.

As far as family goes, we celebrated a couple birthday's this month and Alexa and I spent a day with Mima and Shirley learning how to sew. It was wonderful family time and we definitely needed. 

Planning-
Still planning the up coming year and I know I'm a little crazy sometimes anal about this but I really enjoy trying to fit everything in. I know, glutton for punishment. It does sometimes really stress me out, especially having to worry about so many different sides of the family, etc. I think I make this a little more enjoyable is using my Happy Planner by MAMBI as a way of memory keeping as well. I've been doing this for a while but this month I decided to subscribe to Paper & Glam's Monthly sticker planner kit and I am in love. It's all season which I'm all about and it helps put a little magic in each and every season and helps me plan and memory keep my life. 



Anyway, I'm hoping that September allows me to bring you some more exciting things. Here I go, off to enjoy Labor Day weekend and my family. I hope you all enjoy your weekend and families this weekend too! 

xoxo
Nikki

Comments

Popular Posts

Chitika