Blood Sugar...Why is it important?

Hello and long time not write, right? I know, I know, I REALLY blow at this blogging thing. I think it's because I run out of things to say. And I'm not exactly the best at articulating what I want to say...and I feel like it's all been done before and I'm just being a big fat copy cat. However, the thing that I know is that not everyone in MY network has been exposed to those other things. So, I guess being a little bit of a copy cat is okay when I'm spreading a good message! So, that being said...Here I go!

Just this last week I get a small publication from our local medical community. It's called 'health connection' and I always like to poke my nose in it to see what the medical community is saying. I know, I know, I'm SUCH a nerd! But hey - this stuff interests me! This specific publication had an article on how blood sugar affects your body and why it's important.

Here are some CRAZY facts about blood sugar:

  • As we eat our bodies digest food and breaks it down into glucose, and that glucose enters our bloodstream and is delivered to each of our bodies cells' by insulin. 
  • According to the American Heart Association the average American eats 156 lbs of sugar a year.... ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY SIX POUNDS of sugar a YEAR. WELL over the daily recommended amount! If all those sugar calories turned into body weight, the average American would gain 78 lbs a year.
  • Sugar may actually be addictive. Real-Time brain scans show that sugar acts as a catalyst to dopamine and opioid release in an area of the brain associated with reward - the SAME area activated by cocaine and heroin. YUP! SCARY!
  • Glucose regulation is CRITICAL for health. 
  • High or low blood sugar levels affect how you feel:
    • Hyperglycemia (High blood sugar)
    • Hypoglycemia (Low blood sugar)
  • Diabetes!!! One in six Americans have metabolic syndrome (a set of risk factors including high blood pressure, high blood sugar, high cholesterol and abdominal fat) These factors DOUBLE cardiovascular disease risk and INCREASE diabetes risk FIVE-FOLD!
  • Sugar by another name...The body reacts to sugar whether it's refined or natural. Sugar hides in MANY foods. Always read the label when shopping. If any type of sugar appears in the first FIVE ingredients, look for a healthier alternative
Keeping your blood sugar regulated is SOOOO important for your health. So, besides having diabetes and high blood pressure and blood sugar running in my family and being conscious of how I live my life to  avoid those things. So, imagine my happiness when Beachbody announced that Shakeology is now CLINICALLY PROVEN to decrease cholesterol, blood sugar as well as helping in healthy weight loss! Check out this video. This is AMAZING news! Shakeology is such an amazing tool beachbody has that is now CLINICALLY PROVEN to do AMAZING things! Not only that but I've seen it help my self and my challengers lose weight, quit smoking, clear up skin issues, decrease blood levels, have more energy, etc.

Definitely going to continue to drink my shakeology everyday and continue to get healthier! Thanks for tuning in again guys! Make sure you like, comment, and follow. Interested in my other social media forms?
Follow me on facebook: www.facebook.com/nikkimax120
Twitter: @Fitness_Nikki
Instagram: nikkimax1
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbQWUNw6sc7SQ2DXFO5UrDg

Thanks again! Stay tuned for random blog updates! ;-)

xoxo
Nikki

Comments

Popular Posts

Chitika