Homemade Cheez-its

Here it is!!!

So for the last few years of Alexa being in school and being able to bring her own snack for mid day and for the last few years I've been struggling with these packaged goods that are supposed to be "okay" for your child to consume. Well, for the past few years I've had a hard time with giving my child things that were "okay"  when in reality I want to give her ONLY the BEST. Isn't that what you're supposed to want to do when you're a parent? I wanted to get rid of the chemicals, preservatives and all the other junk - flavoring, artificial dyes etc...

BUT here is the issue -- I didn't have TIME or KNOWLEDGE to apply to giving Alexa healthier snacks. Of course I took the easy road (and I still do) by sending her with carrots, apples or bananas. But as healthy and AWESOME as fresh fruits and veggies are...they get boring and can get beaten up super easy. 

Soooo I've decided to stop making excuses about time and just do it and DIVE head first in making healthy snacks for Miss Alexa. 

Here is the first snack recipe I tried: 

Homemade Cheez-Its

Ingredients:
8 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
1/2 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature (4 tablespoons)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup all-purpose flour (I used gluten free rice flour)
2 tablespoons ice water

Directions

  1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the cheese, butter, and salt. Add the flour and mix on low (dough will be pebbly). Slowly add the water and mix as the dough forms a ball.
  2. Pat the dough into a disk, wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for an hour.
  3. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Divide the dough into two pieces and roll each into a very thin (1/8 inch or less) 10x12 inch rectangle. Using a fluted pastry cutter, cut the rectangles into 1-inch squares, then transfer them to the baking sheets.
  4. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until puffed and browning at the edges. Watch carefully, as the high fat content of the crackers makes a fine line between golden delicious and burnt. Immediately move the crackers to racks to cool.

Nutrition Facts

Per serving:

  • 118 kcal cal.,
  • 8 g fat
  • (5 g sat. fat,
  • 2 g monounsatured fat),
  • 24 mg chol.,
  • 226 mg sodium,
  • 7 g carb.,
  • 5 g pro.
  • Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calories
Here is the finished product:

I'm pretty proud of myself! I do have a couple hints - 1. maybe melt the cheese a little little bit. 2. I added way too much water. Which I think made it "soggy" for lack of a better word. BUT they still taste awesome! And I can tell the more I make them the better they'll get! Only think left to do was to bag them up and have them ready for Alexa. 

She taste tested in the morning and LOVED them! WINNING!!!


Here is where I found the recipe: http://www.bhg.com/recipe/homemade-cheez-its/ I have to give credit where credit is due. Awesome job BHG!! 

Comments

Popular Posts

Chitika