What I ate Wednesday!

Hello my sweet friends! Happy Hump day!

Not going to lie...I'm dragging a little this morning. Really wishing I would have written this blog post last night instead of this bright and early morning {Actually - not bright because it's still dark out} but my computer was not functioning properly last night. That is definitely on my save up for and buy within the next 3 months list. A new laptop. This old one is just....on it's last leg.

Anyhow, enough complaining about the dark and cold morning! ;-)

Yesterday at work I had a really craving for egg drop soup. This is a relatively new discovery for me within the last year or so. My boss gave me his one day at work because I was feeling under the weather and I loved it. Usually when I go out to eat at a Chinese restaurant and want to order soup I'll get the Won Ton Soup. That's what my family always ordered when I was a kid and so in true child fashion that is what I continued to order as an adult. Until, my boss' kind gesture.

So yesterday I was eating my mediocre lunch. Wishing I was at Chang Garden {Chinese Restaurant that we go for Chinese and Sushi} so I could have some egg drop soup. I had a fleeting though that it can't be THAT hard to make. I mean, essentially, the soup has little ingredients. So, I did some investigating! I found this recipe on Simply Recipes. You can find the recipe at that link, but I also have it right below this! I also used one of their pictures because I didn't know Luke was going to make it for me and when I got home from my walk I was so hungry I ate my serving faster than any human should.

Quick and Easy Egg Drop Soup Recipe

  • Prep time: 7 minutes
  • Cook time: 13 minutes
  • Yield: Serves 4
Homemade chicken stock is the best for this. (We did not use homemade, we just got the organic store brand) Also, if you can't locate any of the mushroom types indicated in the recipe, crimini (aka: baby bellas) will do just fine. Or, you can just leave them out all together.

Ingredients

  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 4 cups of chicken stock* (Homemade chicken stock recipe!)
  • 1 tablespoon of corn starch (Luke made this for me. I'm currently on the Whole30 so I would have omitted this, but obviously he didn't think about that :-/ oh well)
  • Scant 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger (We used slightly less since this is what makes the soup spicy)
  • 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper
  • 3/4 cup of enoki mushrooms or sliced shitaki mushrooms

Directions

1 Reserve 1/2 cup of the stock and mix with the cornstarch until dissolved.
2 Place the chicken stock, ginger, soy sauce, green onions, mushrooms and white pepper in a pot and bring to a boil. Add the cornstarch and stock mixture and stir. Reduce heat to a simmer.
3 Slowly pour in the beaten eggs while stirring the soup. The egg will spread out into ribbons. Turn off the heat and garnish with a few more chopped green onions. Serve immediately.
 egg-drop-soup-method-600-3
Final thoughts: I loved it. It was so good and Luke said it was so easy and quick to make that even I could do it! ;-) If you don't know me that well - that means it's way way easy! 

I have a few recipes for the coming weeks to try and share with you all so stay tuned!

Thanks for reading!

xoxo,
Nikki

Comments

Popular Posts

Chitika